Case Code : CLHR017
Publication date : 2009
Subject : HROB
Industry : Entertainment
Length : 06 Pages
Price : Rs. 100
To download this case click on the button below, and select the case from the list of available cases:
Training, Employee education, Internal education program, Pixar University, Creativity, Innovation, Idea-centered business, People-centered business, Creativity-enhancing activities, Collaborative process, Human Resource, human resources policy, employee retention, culture, organizational culture, Animation, production company, Pixar, Disney, Up, Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Monster, Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille, Wall-E, Apple, Steve Jobs
* This caselet is intended for use only in class discussions.
** More comprehensive case studies are priced at Rs.200 to Rs.700 (US $5 to US $16) per copy.
On May 29, 2009, the Emeryville, California-based computer animation production company Pixar Animation Studios (Pixar) released its tenth feature film, Up, which was billed to become a hit like all its earlier nine films. Experts felt that Pixar’s unprecedented success was due to the culture of innovation developed and nurtured at the company. They felt that its internal training and employee education program, Pixar University, was one of the devices that the company employed to take forward its innovation agenda. Making the shift from an idea-centered business to a people-centered business was another.
Questions for Discussion:
1. Critically analyze Pixar University at Pixar. What, according to you, are the benefits derived from having such an internal education program?
2. How, according to you, does the Pixar University help foster creativity and innovation at Pixar?
3. Experts have said that Pixar's model was very different from that of the Hollywood model and this had led to its unprecedented success. In what way do you think Pixar University contributed to this success?
Cases on Related Topic
1. Pixar's 'Incredible' Culture
2. Fostering Innovation: Wipro Technologies' Innovation Framework
3. Innovation at Whirlpool - Creating a New Competency