Amazon.com's Business Model and its Evolution
The case is structured to achieve the following teaching objectives:
- Evaluate Amazon’s business model, and understand the reasons behind the company’s success.
- Understand the importance of disruptive innovation in the retail and e-commerce space.
- Understand the need to continuously reinvent the business model of a company amidst rising competition and the changes in the business environment
- Understand the issues and challenges related to Amazon’s business model; Study the customer-centric philosophies of Amazon, the systems and processes, and how these contributed to the success of the company.
- Identify the challenges faced by Amazon and explore strategies that the company might adopt to overcome them.
|BUILDING AND EVOLVING THE BUSINESS MODEL|
|AMAZON’S GROWTH WHEEL|
|GROWTH NOW, PROFITS LATER|
|RESOURCES AND PROCESSES THAT SUPPORT THE STRATEGY|
|THE ROAD AHEAD||EXHIBITS|
Business model; The business model canvas, Four box framework; Business model innovation, Competitive Strategy, Blue Ocean Strategy, Eliminate-Raise-Create-Reduce framework, TOWS matrix, Customer Value Proposition, Profit formula, Innovation, Amazon Flywheel, Product development, Digitally-driven supply chain, e-commerce