Apple and Conflict Minerals: Ethical Sourcing for Sustainability
This case is the winner of the Second prize in the 2015 oikos Global Case Writing Competition (Corporate Sustainability track), organized by oikos International, Switzerland.
The case is structured to achieve the following teaching objectives:
- Understand the issue of conflict minerals and the challenges and dilemmas faced by companies related to the sourcing of these minerals.
- Understand the challenges faced by companies in sustainable/ethical sourcing of minerals in their supply chain.
- Understand the significance of human rights as a management issue and the link between human rights and sustainability.
- Analyze the steps taken by Apple to address the issue related to the sourcing of conflict minerals.
- Understand the challenges faced by Apple going forward in dealing with the issue of conflict minerals and explore the ways in which it can overcome the challenges.
|THE CONTROVERSY REGARDING CONFLICT MINERALS|
|CONTINUING THE EFFORTS|
|CHALLENGES OUTSIDE AFRICA|
Ethical/ Sustainable sourcing; Supply chain management; Supply chain transparency; Supply chain risk mitigation; Supply chain mapping; Supply chain audit and reporting; Conflict minerals; Human rights as a management issue; Human rights and sustainability; Corporate Sustainability; Business Ethics; Corporate Social Responsibility; Business-government-society relationship; Stakeholder management; Stakeholder tension;