The Break-Up of the RPG-DFI Joint Venture

            
 
Strategic Management|Management Strategy |Business Strategy Case Study|Business Strategy|Case Study|Case Studies

ICMR HOME | Case Studies Collection

Case Details:

Case Code : BST229
Case Length : 15 Pages
Period : 1999-2009
Organization : RPG Enterprises And Dairy Farm International
Pub Date : 2006
Teaching Note :Not Available
Countries : India
Retail ing

To download The Break-Up of the RPG-DFI Joint Venture case study (Case Code: BSTR229) click on the button below, and select the case from the list of available cases:

Business Ethics Case Studies | Case Study in Management, Operations, Strategies, Business Ethics, Case Studies

OR


Buy With PayPal

Amount to be paid:



Prefer to pay in another currency ?
Select Currency for Payment



Exchange Rates: Click Here
Delivery Details: Click Here

Price:

For delivery in electronic format: Rs. 300;
For delivery through courier (within India): Rs. 300 + Shipping & Handling Charges extra


Business Strategy Case Studies
Case Studies Collection
ICMR Home
Business Strategy Short Case Studies
View Detailed Pricing Info
How To Order This Case

Custom Search


Please note:

This case study was compiled from published sources, and is intended to be used as a basis for class discussion. It is not intended to illustrate either effective or ineffective handling of a management situation. Nor is it a primary information source.



Chat with us

Strategic Management Formulation, Implementation, & Control, 12e

Please leave your feedback

Leave Your Feedback

ICMR India ICMR India ICMR India ICMR India RSS Feed

<< Previous

EXCERPTS

Background-DFI

In 1886, Sir Patrick Manson, a Scottish surgeon, along with five Hong Kong businessmen, established DFI to provide the expatriate Europeans in Hong Kong with uncontaminated cow's milk at a reasonable price. By 1898, there were over 15,000 European residents in Hong Kong and this led to a brisk demand for DFI's milk.

In 1904, DFI opened a retail store in Hong Kong to sell imported frozen meat. In 1918, it opened yet another retail store that mainly sold rice to the fishing community of Hong Kong. By 1928, there were six DFI retail stores in Hong Kong and the company also serviced Macau and certain other Chinese cities through its affiliates and subsidiaries.

In the mid-1990s, DFI expanded its product range to become a major food retailer and distributor. In 1972, DFI was acquired by Hong Kong Land (a company which was a part of Jardine Strategic Holdings Ltd ).However, DFI was allowed to retain its own name and operate independently...

Business Strategy | Case Study in Management, Operations, Strategies, Business Strategy, Case Studies

The Joint Venture

In August 1999, RPG entered into a joint venture with DFI. RPG spun off its FW division as FoodWorld Supermarkets Ltd. (FSL), and DFI obtained a 49 percent stake in this by making an initial investment of $ 6 million. RPG held the remaining 51 percent stake in the company. In addition, DFI also obtained a 49 percent stake in RPG Guardian Ltd., which owned the Health and Glow stores...

RPG's New Retail Strategy

According to some industry observers, RPG now had to start a retail business almost from scratch, as it had lost the well-established FW brand to DFI. However, RPG was confident that it could build upon the 'more than 100-year-old Spencer's brand', which was still respected, especially in the southern part of India, to re-establish its retail business. Another problem that RPG faced was that, unlike other organized retailers like Pantaloon Retail (India) Ltd (Pantaloon) and Trent Ltd (Trent), it did not have a pan-India presence, in spite of the fact that it was one of the first companies to enter the organized retailing sector in India...

Excerpts Contd... >>


Custom Search





Economics for Managers Textbook
Textbooks Collection

Economics for Managers Workbook
ICMR books Collection

Case Studies in Business Strategy Volume VI

Case Studies in Business Strategy
e-Book on Business Strategy

Case Study Volumes Collection


 

Case Studies Links:- Case Studies, Short Case Studies, Simplified Case Studies.

Other Case Studies:- Multimedia Case Studies, Cases in Other Languages.

Business Reports Link:- Business Reports.

Books:- Textbooks, Work Books, Case Study Volumes.