Case Code : CLCB059
Publication date : 2008
Subject : Consumer Behavior
Industry : -
Length : 04 Pages
Price : Rs. 100
To download this case click on the button below, and select the case from the list of available cases:
Marketing, advertising, colloquial advertising, attention, recall, brand image, positioning, reposition, pay-off line, Kajol, brand ambassador, celebrity endorsement, co-branding, sales promotion, pricing, strategy, market leader, competition, India, FMCG, confectionery, sugar confectionery, price-sensitive, distribution, Alpenliebe, Perfetti Van Melle (India) Ltd. (PVMI), Perfetti, McCann, Cadbury, Wrigley's, Lotte, Hindustan Unilever Ltd, HUL, ITC, Nestlé Candico, Godrej, Ravalgaon, Parry, Joyco, Ajay Devgan, You Me Aur Hum
* This caselet is intended for use only in class discussions.
** More comprehensive case studies are priced at Rs.200 to Rs.700 (US $5 to US $16) per copy.
Alpenliebe was the single largest brand in the Indian sugar confectionery market. Analysts felt that Perfetti Van Melle (India) Ltd., a subsidiary of the Italian confectionery major, had done exceedingly well to build the brand in the low value, low margin, and fragmented market with exceptional branding. In 2007, the company tried to take the brand to the next level by roping in leading Hindi film actor Kajol as its brand ambassador.
A wholly-owned subsidiary of the world's third largest confectionery major Perfetti Van Melle S.p.A, PVMI also had other big brands such as Center Fresh, Center Shock, Big Babol, Chlormint, Mentos, Fruitella, Cofitos, Protex Happydent, Happydent White, Marbles, Chocoliebe, Chatar Patar, etc., in its brand portfolio. As of early 2008, Alpenliebe was the single largest selling sugar confectionery brand in India and made up a major portion of PVMI's revenue, estimated to be Rs.7 billion in 2007...
Questions for Discussion:
1. What are the challenges in marketing a low-involvement product such as hard-boiled candy that are often purchased on impulse?
2. Critically analyze Perfetti Van Melle's marketing strategy for Alpenliebe in India.
3. Analyze its marketing communication campaigns for Alpenliebe and Alpenliebe lollipops.
4. What future strategies should Perfetti Van Melle adopt to establish its leadership position in the Indian sugar confectionery market?
Cases on related topics