Case Code : CLHR015
Publication date : 2009
Subject : HROB
Industry : Retail
Length : 04 Pages
Price : Rs. 100
To download this case click on the button below, and select the case from the list of available cases:
Training, computer-based training, person-to-person instruction, class-room training, computer simulations, animated training modules, custom online training game, simulation, learning management, experiential learning, innovative training tools, training methods, demographics, Generation Y, customer service, inventory, retail, ice cream parlor chain, in-store experience, Cold Stone Creamery, Persuasive Games
* This caselet is intended for use only in class discussions.
** More comprehensive case studies are priced at Rs.200 to Rs.700 (US $5 to US $16) per copy.
Cold Stone Creamery (Cold Stone), an American ice cream parlor chain, had been using video game as a training tool since 2005. Through the custom-made video game Stone City, the company aimed to train its frontline employees on customer service and sensitize them to ice-cream portions, inventory wastage, and their effect on profitability. As more and more companies used video games as a training tool considering the demographics of their entry-level workers, experts were divided on whether video games were an effective training tool.
Questions for Discussion:
1. Critically analyze the Stone City training video game. Why do you think more and more companies are using video games as a training tool?
2. Discuss the pros and cons of using video games as a training tool.
Cases on Related Topic
1. Nike's 'Sports Knowledge Underground' E-learning Initiative
2. Improving Sales Force Effectiveness: Bayer's Experiment with New Technology
3. Designing a Training Program: A Training Manager's Dilemma
4. Enhancing the Credibility of the Training Function: Involving Line in Sales Training