Case Code : CLHR018
Publication date : 2009
Subject : HROB
Industry : Consumer Electronics Retail
Length : 03 Pages
Price : Rs. 100
To download this case click on the button below, and select the case from the list of available cases:
Firing, termination of employment, business communication, face-to-face meeting, Human Resources, layoff, work force reduction, severance packages, public relations, legal, management practice, consumer electronics, retail, RadioShack
* This caselet is intended for use only in class discussions.
** More comprehensive case studies are priced at Rs.200 to Rs.700 (US $5 to US $16) per copy.
In August 2006, the decision of US-based consumer electronics specialty retailer RadioShack Corporation to inform 400 employees by e-mail that they had been laid-off sparked a controversy with many industry observers and management experts saying it smacked of a lack of consideration and respect for the employees.
Questions for Discussion:
1. Critically analyze RadioShack's decision to inform fired employees about their fate through e-mail.
2. Discuss how the issue of termination of employment can be handled by HR professionals.
Cases on Related Topic
1. HR Problems at Jet Airways: Coping with Turbulent Times in the Indian Aviation Industry
2. The Julie Roehm Saga at Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
3. High-Profile Executive's Exit The Perils of Switching Industries?