Case Code : CLHR031
Publication date : 2010
Subject : Human Resource Management
Industry : Pharmaceuticals
Length : 03 Pages
Price : Rs. 100
To download this case click on the button below, and select the case from the list of available cases:
Global HRM, International HRM, International Management, Expatriate management, International staffing, international assignment, compensation, destination support, work/life balance, cultural training, language training, AstraZeneca
* This caselet is intended for use only in class discussions.
** More comprehensive case studies are priced at Rs.200 to Rs.700 (US $5 to US $16) per copy.
The world's fifth largest pharmaceutical company, AstraZeneca is known for its strong expatriate management practices. The company has put various mechanisms in place to prepare employees for life in a different country. AstraZeneca, like other companies, has also been challenged to have a relook at its expatriate management practices in the light of the global economic slowdown
Questions for Discussion
1. Critically analyze AstraZeneca's expatriate management practices.
2. According to the 2007 Expatriate Work/Life Balance Survey, 65 percent of expats report feeling the strain of managing the demands of work and home, leading to more anxieties at home and at the workplace. What steps can an organization take to mitigate this?
3. What decisions related to expatriates can organizations take to maximize the benefits to the company despite the ongoing economic recession? Do you think a company that paid more careful attention to selection could further boost their chances of success?
Cases on Related Topic
1. Edwards Lifesciences' Talent Management Practices: Creating a Competitive Advantage
2. Employer Branding at McDonald's: Redefining McJobs
3. MTV Networks: The Arabian Challenge