Case Code : CLHR034
Publication date : 2013
Subject : Human Resource Management
Industry : Information Technology
Length : 06 Pages
Price : Rs. 100
To download this case click on the button below, and select the case from the list of available cases:
Yahoo; Marissa Mayer; revenue per employee; employee productivity; work from home; telecommuting; flexible working hours; collaboration; interaction; innovation
* This caselet is intended for use only in class discussions.
** More comprehensive case studies are priced at Rs.200 to Rs.700 (US $5 to US $16) per copy.
The case is about the decision of Yahoo’s new CEO, Marissa Mayer (Mayer), to abolish the ‘Work from Home’ option at the company. By the time Mayer joined the company in 2012, Yahoo had lost its previous glory and was way behind its industry peers. In order to revitalize the company, Mayer announced several plans. When she found that the work from home policy that the company was following was being misused by some employees, she decided to discontinue it. Her decision resulted in a huge debate over the viability of flexible working hours and the work from home policy.
Questions for Discussion
1. Discuss telecommuting/work from home. What are the advantages and disadvantages associated with them?
2. Do you agree with Marisa Mayer’s decision? Justify.
Cases on Related Topic
1. Labor Unrest at Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India (Private) Limited
2. IR Problems at Toyota Kirloskar Motor Private Limited
3. Collective Bargaining: The General Motors-United Auto Workers Deal
4. MTV Networks: The Arabian Challenge