Case Code : CLOM016
Publication date : 2013
Subject : Operations
Industry : Retail
Teaching Note : Not Available
Length : 06 Pages
Price : Rs. 100
To download this case click on the button below, and select the case from the list of available cases:
Tesco, Balanced Scorecard, The Tesco Way, core purpose, values, goals, Steering Wheel
* This caselet is intended for use only in class discussions.
** More comprehensive case studies are priced at Rs.200 to Rs.700 (US $5 to US $16) per copy.
UK-based retailer Tesco Plc., used a unique tool 'The Steering Wheel', a version of the Balanced Scorecard that directed the focus of business initiatives on delivering the core purpose of Tesco - 'create value for the customers and earn their lifetime loyalty'. The case explains in detail how Tesco developed the tool and used it successfully.
Questions for Discussion
1. What intangibles did Tesco bring into its version of Balanced Scorecard? If you were to design a Steering Wheel for a Tesco store, what other parameters would you add?
2. Examine how Tesco used the Steering Wheel as a control mechanism.
3. How did the 'Steering Wheel' help Tesco realize 'the Tesco Way'?
4. What are the limitations of Tesco's 'Steering Wheel'?
Cases on related topics
1. Taiichi Ohno and Toyota Production System
2. Six Sigma at Motorola
3. Six Sigma: A Tool to Increase Customer Satisfaction at Bank of America