Fiat in India: Realigning the Joint Venture with Tata Motors
The case is structured to achieve the following teaching objectives:
- Analyze the integration capabilities of Fiat in relation to its operations in India.
- Understand various issues and challenges in strategic alliances, particularly in cross-border joint ventures.
- Examine trends in the Indian automotive industry and the rationale for the alliance between Tata Motors and Fiat.
- Examine what went wrong with the alliance and how the problems could have been averted.
- Understand what actions the companies should take to salvage the industrial joint venture in light of the reverses in the alliance between them.
- Discuss the strategies that Fiat could adopt to build its competitive position in India.
|Tata-Fiat Joint Venture|
|Rationale Of The Alliance|
|The JV Revival Efforts|
|Fiat Drives Alone|
|The Road Ahead|
Strategic alliance; Joint venture; International management; Strategic position; Strategic capabilities; Integration capabilities; Competition; Distribution strategy; Turnaround strategy; Indian passenger car market; Fiat; Tata Motors;