Corporate Entrepreneurship and Innovation at Google, Inc.
| Case Code: LDEN089
Case Length: 20 Pages
Period: 2003 - 2013
Pub Date: 2014
Teaching Note: Available
| Price: Rs.500
Organization : Google, Inc.
Industry : Information Technology
Countries : Europe; US; Global
Themes: Corporate Entrepreneurship, Innovation Management, Innovation Strategy, Innovation culture
Abstract Case Intro 1 Case Intro 2 Excerpts
Google, Inc. made innovation an everyday process rather than using it as a strategy during times of crisis. While some companies worked on perfecting their product before its initial release, Google followed a unique ‘launch and iterate’ process to innovation. Right from the time the company was founded, Google relied on its employees to augment its culture of innovation. Its policies like the ‘70/20/10’ innovation model and ‘Innovation Time Off’ gave a lot of freedom to Google’s employees to work on their preferred projects.
Google also made it easy for its employees to express themselves through several channels including TGIF, Googlegeist, and Google Moderator. To foster radical innovation, the company set up the Google X division, where the employees were pushed to come up with ‘moon shots’ — projects that created products and services that were 10 times better than the competition. Co-founders of Google, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, Executive Chairman, Eric Schmidt, and other members of the top management team took a personal interest in these projects.
The case is structured to achieve the following teaching objectives:
- Understand the concept of corporate entrepreneurship as also which model of corporate entrepreneurship is followed by Google.
- Understand how Google managed innovation to emerge as a leading technology company in the world.
- Study the various initiatives followed by Google that enables it to keeps the innovation spirit alive in a company with an employee strength of more than 44,000.
- Appreciate the importance of innovation in fostering growth and achieving superior results.
- Discuss the challenges that Google will face on the innovation front in the future.
- Explore ways in which Google can take its agenda of radical innovation forward and stay ahead of the competition.
Leveraging Employees in Fostering Innovation
Google X and the 'Moon Shot Mentality'
Keeping the Spirit of Innovation Alive
Corporate Entrepreneurship; Models of Corporate Entrepreneurship; Sustaining Corporate Entrepreneurship; Innovation strategy; Innovation management; Organizational culture; Innovation culture; ‘Launch and iterate’ process; Innovation as a Strategy; Resource-based View of the Firm; Strategic Capabilities; Enabling and Managing Change; ‘70/20/10’ innovation model; ‘Innovation Time Off’; Google; Google X
Buy this case study (Please select any one of the payment options)
||Price: Rs.500||PayPal (11 USD)